Re: Storing large objects (CLOB)

From: Stefan Mueller <smueller_at_dimedis.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:53:27 +0200

Todd Simonsen wrote:

> I've defined a table with a CLOB, but when I attempt to pass a large
> amount of data to it, something in the 3500 character range, it fails with
> an error of ORA-01704: string literal too long. This is being done with
> perl/DBI/DBD.
> When I insert a short string (a couple of lines), everythings OK. What am I
> missing?

I've made the same experience. If I insert 4000 characters everything is ok, but I fails with error ORA-01704 if I insert 4001 and more. Also I haven't found any solution of this problem.

However do you know a way of selecting the charaters of the clob column? My trials always fails with error ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes.

> I've been thru the book a couple of times and all it says is that their
> examples use
> short strings, but larger lengths will also work. Not the case!

Which book do you mean?

Stefan Received on Fri Aug 21 1998 - 03:53:27 CDT