Re: career advice

From: Malcolm Blackhall <blackhal_at_midtown.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:55:44 -0700

To all:

There are as many ways to become a DBA as there are DBAs. But in general, I have seen people become DBAs who were previously developers (like me) or system administrators. I have not run into any that did not come up via one of the two paths. So ...

STEP 1: Get some experience as a developer or system administrator.

Once you have the development or system administration skills, you need to develop Oracle skills. If you are a developer, working with Oracle, some of this will happen naturally. But you will need more. Some companies have excellent training programs, but most companies in the U.S. do not provide any training they absolutely do not have to provide. In any case, it is up to you to get the skills you need to take your career in the direction you want. So ...

STEP 2: Learn everything you can about Oracle (or, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, Informix, DB/2 or whatever other database system you are interested in).

Get an evaluation of copy of Oracle and install it at home. Play with it. Configure it. Program it. Don't have a computer that will run Oracle? Buy one that can! Learn everything you can from books like Oracle 8 The Complete Reference and Oracle 8 DBA Handbook. At work, take advantage of any opportunities that arise to work with Oracle.

STEP 3: Find a need and fill it.

It is easier to get a job in the company you already work for than in another company. Look for opportunities. Maybe your company has only one DBA, and he is overworked. What would happen if he got sick or left? Try selling management on the need for a backup DBA. Show them how your other skills and experience would enhance your value as a DBA. Show them what you've already done to increase you value to the company by learning Oracle. Show them your willingness to take on additional responsibilities and duties. They might decide to send you to training (like me) or at least get you some on-the-job training.

It may be that there just are no opportunities where you work. Then you must consider moving on. I would looking for another position that leverages your strengths, and then try to work into the DBA job. Certification might help you get that entry level DBA job in this case. Received on Sun Aug 16 1998 - 15:55:44 CDT