Re: How do you create a 2nd instance ??

From: <jweem_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:56:35 GMT

In article <01bdbf85$c82ba120$5b060181_at_elc010>,   "Jason Priddy" <priddyj-tl_at_basingstoke.cpo-awa.com> wrote:
> We have Oracle 7.1 on Windows NT currently up and running with 1 instance
> and related database info but we now require a second database.
>
> My understanding (after reading the Oracle books) is you need a second
> instance but the books don't tell you how to create the second instance.
>
> Anybody give me any advice or point me in a direction to get the
> information.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Jason

Hai Jason,

I am working with Oracle8 but i think the procedure to create a new instance is still the same. Steps: - find your initialization files (init<SID>.ora) and rename the <SID> part to the required new instance/database name - add a new entry in the tnsnames.ora file - add a new entry in the listener.ora file for remote listening. Then stop/start the listener - open the new init<SID>.ora you have just made and adjust parameters (like control_files, db_name, etc) - it depends on the OS you are working. On NT you have to create an NT-service which can start the new instance. On Unix you have to adjust the environment variable 'ORACLE_SID' to the chosen new name (like the <SID> part, like db_name) - start the database in nomount mode - you should be able to create a new database now

I hope this helpes you. Probably you will encounter some mistakes/problems but these are guidelines. Good luck,

John