Re: Moving unix DB instance to NT DB instance

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_nomail.us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 01:27:00 GMT

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:41:15 +0100, "Dave Siddons" <dave.siddons_at_capgemini.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
>Ftp'd the database files (all in one place) to appropriate place on NT
>machine.

[...]
>Got an error indicatinf invalid header in system01.ora.

Database, log, and control files are not generally portable across different hardware platforms.

>The other possibility was to create a new fresh database on the NT box and
>export from unix to import on NT. Would this be a better solution ?

Yes. Oracle export creates a "portable" copy of the data that import on another platform knows how to handle.

Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corp. USA These are my opinions, not Oracle's. Received on Fri Jul 31 1998 - 20:27:00 CDT