Re: Limiting the Display Width in Oracle

From: Alan D. Mills <alanmNOSPAM_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:11:55 +0100

Other than reducing ARRAYSIZE or increasing MAXDATA as the error s[ecifies, all I can think of at the moment is that you are returning, within some cursor in your procedure, a large number of columns from a particular table (or join of tables). I would analyse this SELECT and reduce any sected items you don't actually need. Are you doing a SELECT *... (returning many columns) when , in fact you could get away with only a hadnfull of column values for your task?

Alternatively, if you are retriving many column values because they need to be used in a firther update or insert statement then re-design the procedure so that the insert or update statement drives from a select i.e
insert into ... select .. from .. rather than using buffered values.

and use your original cursor select values (albeit a reduced set) for implemeting program logic.

Just a couple of thoughts...

--
Alan D. Mills