Re: Pls Help: Oracle & Servlet -> Error: ORA-12641

From: Marc Fleischeuers <Marc.Fleischeuers_at_kub.no-spam.nl>
Date: 1998/07/10

Hendra Widjaja <whendra_at_ncs.com.sg> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently on a very urgent project utilising Oracle. The objective
> is to build an application in Java (Java servlets) to access /
> manipulate data in Oracle.
>
> If I run my java program as a stand-alone program, the database access
> works (i.e. running on the server itself). However, when I try to run
> the program as a servlet, I encounter the following error:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: [Oracle][ODBC Oracle Driver][Oracle OCI]
> ORA-12641: TNS:authentication service failed to initialize.
>
> The environment that I use is as follows:
>
> MS Win NT 4.0
> IIS 3.0
> Jrun 2.1
> JSDK 2.0
> JDK 1.1.5
> Oracle 7.3.3.0.0
> JDBC-ODBC bridge.

Wild guess, you know that services on WinNT normally run as user 'LocalSystem', a very funny user with odd restrictions wrt. making network connections? It may be that your servlet uses facilities that it cannot access when running as LocalSystem. Maybe there is some clue in your event logs, you could also check out %ORACLE_HOME%/network/log/listener.log to determine how your servlet logs in to the database.

Marc

--
                     "Het hoeft nietsch te zijn, alsch het maer wat lijckt"
                                           Dutch proverb, late 20th century