Auto Sequencing When Insert

From: Kenneth Xu <xu_dong_at_irel.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:53:43 +0800

Hi all,

We used to be Informix users before and new to Oracle.

We used serial data type in Informix to generate the auto sequencing number, application do need to specify a value for such a field when inserting a record to database.

Now we want to change the database engine to Oracle but cannot find a match. We know Oracle provides a sequence object which can do the similar job, so we use a trigger to simulate that behave.

Unfortunately, We encountered the compilation error with following code:

create table TestTable(

    UserID number(9),
    Name char(50)
);

create sequence TestSeq;

create trigger Test_BeforeInsert
before insert on TestTable for each row begin

    if :new.UserID is null then

        :new.UserID := TestSeq.nextval;     end if;
end;

It is very much appreciated if somebody point me a direction.

TIA, Ken. Received on Fri Jul 10 1998 - 04:53:43 CDT