Re: Auto Sequencing When Insert

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:22:01 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Kenneth Xu" <xu_dong_at_irel.com.sg> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:53:43 +0800, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We used to be Informix users before and new to Oracle.
>
>We used serial data type in Informix to generate the auto sequencing number,
>application do need to specify a value for such a field when inserting a
>record to database.
>
>Now we want to change the database engine to Oracle but cannot find a match.
>We know Oracle provides a sequence object which can do the similar job, so
>we use a trigger to simulate that behave.
>
>Unfortunately, We encountered the compilation error with following code:
>

>---------------------------------
>create table TestTable(
> UserID number(9),
> Name char(50)
>);
>
>create sequence TestSeq;
>
>create trigger Test_BeforeInsert
>before insert on TestTable for each row
>begin
> if :new.UserID is null then
> :new.UserID := TestSeq.nextval;

         select testseq.nextval into :new.userid from dual;

> end if;
>end;

You need to SELECT sequences (they are database objects -- you need to go to the server to get them...)

>It is very much appreciated if somebody point me a direction.
>
>TIA,
>
>Ken.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jul 10 1998 - 10:22:01 CDT