[Fwd: Dropping a column from a table]

From: Kevin J. Kirkpatrick <kjk_at_hrb.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 08:39:51 -0400

attached mail follows:

I searched everywhere for a way to drop a column from a table but couldn't find anything. It would see that you would be able to do it with an ALTER TABLE, but there didn't seem to be anything. I devised a work around for this problem. Is there another way besides doing this:

This would create a new table minus the column I wanted out:

CREATE TABLE temp_table

   UNRECOVERABLE
   PARALLEL (DEGREE 3)
   AS SELECT name, phone, ssn FROM employee_table;

After that I would drop out employee_table and then recreate it with the following:

CREATE TABLE employee_table

   UNRECOVERABLE
   PARALLEL (DEGREE 3)
   AS SELECT * FROM temp_table;

There has got to be an easier way!! Does anyone know it? This worked great but I couldn't find any method that explicitly was for this dropping columns from a table.

Kevin Received on Thu Jul 02 1998 - 07:39:51 CDT