[Fwd: LONG datatype in select statement]

From: Kevin J. Kirkpatrick <kjk_at_hrb.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 08:40:53 -0400

attached mail follows:

Hi,

I am using PL/SQL with Oracle 7 and I have ran into a problem. Basically, I have this table with a LONG in it. This field needs to be able to hold more than 2,000bytes that is why I defined it that way. Anyways, I also need the capability to search this table for a user specified string (a searching capability given to the user). The problem is that I found out that you can not have the LONG datatype in the WHERE clause of the SELECT statement. Is there some other way that I will be able to search this LONG field for a particular string? I do not want to resort to breaking the LONG into VARCHAR2's because I would rather not mess around with concatenating fields. I can select all of the records in the table, assign that LONG to a variable (another LONG) and search that variable, but that is all theroetical because there is no SEARCH function that will allow me to look for a specific word in a variable. How do I solve this problem? I want to keep the LONG. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance...

Kevin
Software Engineer Received on Thu Jul 02 1998 - 07:40:53 CDT