Does SELECT REPLACE work on Long fields?

From: Sean Dolan <dolans_at_stripe.Colorado.EDU>
Date: 24 Jun 98 13:34:40 GMT

        I am trying to replace the carriage return (chr(10) with '<br>' in a long field in an Oracle 7.3.4 dbase. I have tried to do an update from SQL/Plus, but it gives me an error of 'inconsistent datatypes'... so instead, I decided to write a simple PL/SQL program. It almost works. The following line is where the code "chokes":

SELECT REPLACE (lp, chr(10), '<br>') into lp from dual where id=something

Remember, it it querying a long datatype first (the lp variable). Now it works on SOME of the records but not others - I think it has to do with the size of those fields. For example, I am successful on record 3 (which has 1300 characters) but not on record 7 (which has 2800 characters).

Could anyone help with this and maybe suggest a means to get around this?

Thanks,
Sean Dolan Received on Wed Jun 24 1998 - 08:34:40 CDT