Re: IMP/EXP entire db to new location

From: Erica Harris <ericah_at_wairc.govt.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:24:44 +1200

You will have to create the tablespaces ie a bare bones database if you want to use export/import.

Whenever we want to copy a database we use the following procedure instead:
1. copy all database files including control files to new location - could do this by restoring your backedup database from tape or by taking the production database down and doing an online copy. 2. do " alter database backup controlfile to trace" on the production database. This will produce a trace file which you can use to create a script to recreate the control files for your new location - you will need to do thing like change the paths for the database files unless you have kept the same directory and device/drive names. If you really are moving your production database then you wouldn't need to even change the sid. Essentially you only need to do this step if the sid or directory/device/drive names for the files have changed.

That's it in a nutshell. If you want more detail let me know - I have a lot of it written down for when we reproduce our test financials database from our production one.

Regards,
Erica Harris
Oracle DBA/System Administrator
Environment Waikato