Re: Info source on TWO_TASK, ORAPIPES & associated versions of SQL*Net & Oracle

From: Steven Egberghs <steven.egberghs_at_advalvas.be>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:05:26 +0100

Alan,
Here is what I know

<snip>
The whole story is related to the version of Oracle and Sql*Net. Oracle7.3 and newer doesn't support SQL*Net V1 anymore, only V2

What's the meaning of TWO_TASK in this story? The value of TWO_TASK is appended to the connect-string eg : TWO_TASK=hello
  sqlplus connect scott/tiger
   would be interpreted
  sqlplus connect scott/tiger_at_hello

Whenever the connect string contains a letter follwed by a colon, SqlNet supposes it's V1.
eg.: sqlplus connect jbsdb/jbsdb_at_t:hello That why we have to leave out the letter and the colon for our application.

But in V2 the way of connecting is different, don't ask me the old way. At the server side there is a listener, which is configured by the file listener.ora

Each client-computer (remote or local) has a configuration-file tnsnames.ora

When building up a connection, the string "hello" is looked up in the file tnsnames, where this alias is configured for a specific protocol and an oracle-instance.

Besides the usual protocols (TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, IPC, names pipes) Oracle uses also an internal protocol : BEQ.

Without setting TWO_TASK or specifiing it in the connect-string, SqlNet connects through an default protocol

Before Oracle 7.1.6 : named pipes
After Oracle 7.1.6 : BEQ

If we choose locally to connect with an TCP/IP protocol (defined in tnsnames.ora), Oracle will try to connect with BEQ. So if testing local if the sqlnet-environment is working correctly, you can't be sure of the tcp/ip-protocol.
This overruling of local-tcp/ip-connecting can be turned of in the file sqlnet.ora : AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF (default=ON)

Whenever you've got an oracle-client session, you can check the type of connecting (remote/local)
 ps -ef | grep ora (UNIX)
Each client has an entry that loooks like ORACLE_SIDlocal=YES/NO

<snip>