Re: Oracle/PL/SQL users should consider mysql/perl

From: John D Groenveld <groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu>
Date: 15 Jun 1998 11:25:35 -0400

I've been happily using the Perl DBI and DBD::Oracle modules for the last few years and I agree that Apache/mod_perl is an excellent web server architecture. However, there are a lot of arguments for using PL/SQL regardless if you use Perl on the client or in the application server. Two most important to me are security and application independence. Instead of granting users direct access to objects, you grant them access to methods. Those same methods stored along with the data make it much easier to provide access to the same application via a webserver and say a Windows client written in VB.

I have no experience with m*sql packages, but I understand they're highly regarded and stable. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the developers of those packages weren't very interested in adding support for procedural extenstions and stored procedures. In fact, I think there's a movement to make these a part of the next SQL standard.

John
groenveld_at_acm.org Received on Mon Jun 15 1998 - 10:25:35 CDT