Oracle/PL/SQL users should consider mysql/perl

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 15 Jun 1998 13:02:58 GMT

I had been using Oracle under Solaris for a couple of years. While I wasn't very happy with the way it all worked I was able to get work done. I hated working with sqlplus among other things. I think sqlplus sucks BIG TIME!

However I recently tried mysql/DBI/perl. I have never been happier. SO MUCH POWER AND FLEXIBILITY!!!! I am more than hooked. I am already busy porting all my PL/SQL (Aaaaack!!!) applications to perl to run under mod_perl/Apache. Perl makes sense. No more am I spending weeks to get a project done in PL/SQL. I am doing it in minutes under Perl.

The new setup is an order of a magnitude faster than the Oracle setup I was living with. The mysql client is much much more pleasing to work with also. Its the database of the people, for the people, by the people.

And since it comes with the source, compile it on most any platform you like. I am using it under Linux. What can I say I am at home with a very pleasant database and a very pleasant operating system.

I thought that I'd let some of you in, on one of the best kept secrets. If you have questions please drop me a note. I'll try to help.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Mon Jun 15 1998 - 08:02:58 CDT