Re: What is the max linesize?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/06/13

On 12 Jun 1998 12:59:05 GMT, kkkong_at_ee.cuhk.hk (Alan Kong) wrote:

>COuld you pls tell me what is the max linesize I could set in my SQL
>report?
>
>I want to create a report which contains a lot of fields and the total
>length of each line of records will be more than 125 characters.

My manual says that the max value for linesize is system dependent. I'm not entirely certain why it has to be system dependant, but I'm sure that if your report is in the neighborhood of 125 chars that you'll be fine. Remember, back in the old days most printers were 132 chars wide. On my Windows 95 client, the max linesize is 32767. See below:

Connected to:
Personal Oracle8 Release 8.0.3.0.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
PL/SQL Release 8.0.3.0.0 - Production

SQL> set linesize 1000
SQL> set linesize 2000
SQL> set linesize 5000
SQL> set linesize 32000
SQL> set linesize 32767
SQL> set linesize 32768

linesize option 32768 out of range (1 through 32767)

Jonathan Received on Sat Jun 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT