utl_file.fopen on NT

From: <helen.yates_at_compaq.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 06:07:46 GMT

I have set the pfile variable UTL_FILE_DIR = *

I'm trying to use fopen for read on a file which exists and I keep getting invalid_operation exceptions. I've tried moving the file to the server, the client and still no go. The stored procedure contains:

  v_file utl_file.file_type; ... v_file :=

sys.utl_file.fopen('F:\Helen\','Ccgt0106.eft','R');  EXCEPTION	WHEN
utl_file.invalid_path THEN dbms_output.put_line('Invalid location');  WHEN
utl_file.invalid_mode THEN dbms_output.put_line('Invalid mode');  WHEN
utl_file.invalid_operation THEN dbms_output.put_line('Invalid operation');

and this produces:

Invalid operation

F drive is on the server and the code is in a stored procedure being executed at the client. Are there any tips for using stored procedures containing utl_file commands from a client?

Thanks, Helen