Re: Connect MS Access to Oracle

From: Peter Mroz <pmroz_at_snip.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 22:40:42 -0400

Stan Pitman wrote:

> What is the best way to connect MS Access to Oracle tables. I'm using
> Access '97 and under stand I can use ODBC, but I've also heard that I can
> use TCP/IP.

Stan,

You'll need Oracle SQL*Net (Version 2) installed on your client and server. Your client will also need ODBC for Oracle. I'm not sure about other networking protocols, but TCP/IP works fine for me. I can connect Access 97 on my Windows 95 PC to Oracle 7 running on a DEC Alpha.

I've seen threads in this newsgroup that suggest that Microsoft ODBC is faster than Oracle's ODBC driver.

Once you've installed and configured SQL*Net and ODBC, you can do a File/Get External Data, followed by either Import Data or Link Table. Importing data is just that - a snapshot gets pulled into Access. Any changes on the imported spreadsheet are not reflected on the server. A Linked Table, on the other hand, is connected to the server. It's kind of like a view.

Peter Received on Mon Jun 01 1998 - 21:40:42 CDT