Re: Oracle, Delphi and QuickReport

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 09:57:13 +0200

B. Merschmann wrote in message <356d595f.0_at_news.teuto.de>...
>Hi,
>I have a real problem with the speed and Oracle. I work with Delphi 3 and
>want to print or preview some reports with QickReport from an Oracle
> Database.

You did not mention what middleware you're using. e.g. ODBC, BDE etc. But I think that's the cause of the speed problem.

With the OCI (I think) the size of the data packets returned from Oracle can be set. In native Oracle BDE (SQL-Link) the parameter is ROWSETSIZE. In Microsoft's Oracle ODBC driver it's called BUFFER SIZE and ROW LIMIT.

If the packet size is small, then you will get a substantial decrease in performance and increase in network traffic. The ideal packet size for db data is about 1.5KB. Many of the middleware do not set the packet to an optimal size which means that the packet size is about 200 - 300 bytes. And retrieving data with that packet size is -not- a good idea.

We always sniff the network traffic of a client app before deploying it in a corporate environment.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 02:57:13 CDT