Report Generator.. suggestions.

From: John Spackman <john_at_magratheon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 19:50:35 +0100

We use Crystal Reports. It's fairly fast and is user friendly, but has a few bugs and limitations. It supports ODBC and has direct drivers for MSSQL, Oracle, etc, and has a load of extensions for publishing on the Web (ie you install a DLL into IIS which will allow the user to drill down into a report bit by bit; we're planning to run the report and save the results inside the report, and then leave the report file on the web server, but I believe that you can make it dynamically query also). It has an API for C/C++, VB, Delphi, and (I think) OLE.

Generally speaking, we're happy with it. There is also Crystal Info, the new v6 of which includes an OLAP engine (they bought it in from a well established firm (so I'm told), I think it used to be called HOLOS or something similar).

John