Re: Boycott Microsoft

From: James Stafford <jamess_at_cts.com>
Date: 1998/05/17

G. J. Greetan wrote:

> Hello:
>
> >Whoa here Mr. M$ profit. If I want to buy a computer and I don't want
> >Windoze on it I have to build my own (which is fine because I enjoy
> >doing so). But when I use the Internet, which is supposed to work on all
> >computers, and I come across a site that I can't use because I don't use
> >some inferior OS (hint has 95 in it soon to have 98), then I do think
> >that it's time for someone to do something.
>
> I don't follow you here. Are you saying that you can't connect to
> certain internet sites if you don't use a certain operating system?
> Rhubbish. As long as your operating system supports dial-up
> networking...etc, you can get on the net, and have a web browser, you can
> visit wherever you want. Furthermore, not *every* computer is able to
> connect to the net. It depends on what OS you are running, your
> hardware...etc.

There are Internet sites out there where you either have to have Win95 or Internetexplorer or you can't get on them, not matter what kind of computer you have.

> >Look at java, supposed to
> >run on all computers but what does Micro$soft do with it?
>
> Java is owned and operated by Sun. MS has limited java support. If the
> ceo of Sun wouldn't be such a bonehead when it comes to industry
> standards..etc, java would have a better chance as a platform. Furthermore,
> Why should MS promote something which has the potential of being a threat to
> it's own share of the operating system market?

And you have to have Microsoft's version of Java to get the benefits of the Java on a site that uses MS java. True MS doesn't have to support Java. MS has ActiveX or is it AtiveVirus. Sun is trying to stop MS from shipping Java with Win98.

> >I've used Win95 and have found it to be about the worst OS I've ever
> >used. The way I look at it your buddy Gates is just lucky that he
> >doesn't have a class action lawsuit against him for the cause of "reset
> >button finger disorder". If in fact that Windoze were a better OS you
> >can bet your bottom dollar that I would use it. But this is just not the
> >case and that's why I hate it, simple as that.
>
> Then don't use it. It is just that simple. Refomat your hard drive,
> and install a different operating system. No one is forcing you to use
> Windows95. The best argument in favor of Windows95 is the software
> selection available for it. I guarantee that you won't find a better
> selection of software for another operating system.
> Secondly, I run Win95 (along with OS/2 Warp) on my machine here at home. I
> have 64 megs of RAM, and I don't have a whole lot of problems with Win95.
> And I would like to point out that not *every* problem is the fault of
> Windows...the problem can just as easily be in the software you install.

I have Win95 installed on my oldest 486 computer, actually it shares the computer with Linux. The reason that I put Win95 on the oldest computer was do to it's very poor performance. The only thing that I use Win95 for is making greeting cards, and sometimes for school. I agree there are a lot of software titles for MS but what good does it do you when all you is hit the reset button? On a given day spent with Win95 I have to hit the reset button at least 5 times, and that's the least. With Linux I maybe have to use the reset button 3 times a year, if that. there's also a lot of programs available for Linux, most of them are free and work very well.

> >Now please take your M$ apologetics somewhere else.
> >keep on computin' (but don't force me to have to do it your way),
>
> My way? My way is having 3 different operating systems on my computer.
> I have PC DOS 7, Win95, and OS/2 Warp 4. I use Win95 for my gaming...etc.
> I use OS/2 Warp for the heavy duty applications. Win95 does some things
> very well...it has the best GUI, and is easiest to set up and use. OS/2
> Warp is a big workhorse, and I love it for that reason.
>
> I don't believe I was "forcing my way of computing" on anyone else in
> this newsgroup. I just think that the anti-microsoft crusaders are off
> their rockers. You people want Janet Reno (a lady who admits that she
> doesn't even know how to use a PC...and them taken out of her office)
> running the the computer industry... I am not going to support that...I am
> not going to support *any* government intervention. In short, I refuse to
> take, what you call, my "M$ apologetics" somewhere else.

Actually I wasn't referring to you about trying to force your way on anybody, but I was in reference to MS. Seems like when ever someone comes out with something neat MS and company try and take it over and make it a Win only program. Meaning that you would have to use their OS. I'm all for the antimonopoly laws and do believe that they should be enforced. It would be not necessary for the government to get involved if one company didn't want the whole pie.

Actually I *do* think that you should take your MS apologetics somewhere else. This group is an Apple II news group, we like to talk Apple II here. I can't and don't speak for everyone, but I don't give a hill o beans about Micro$soft.

Good day to you also,

jamess Received on Sun May 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT