Re: Connect via TCP/IP starts dialer

From: <rono_at_fl.envworld.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 20:58:08 GMT

Just poking in the dark.....

Can you ping the server? Open an MS-DOS emulator window and type: PING 1.123.123.99. If that starts up your dialer, it might be a problem with your subnet mask. Go to TCP configuration, select subnet mask and set to 1.255.255.255 This will cause all IP addresses with a 1 as the first node to route to your local subnet (go out on the LAN), otherwise it will attempt to find a gateway, which I suspect is your dial-up networking.

Hope it helps.

In article <6j7fhs$2eg$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   smoore_at_accordhr.com wrote:

> In article <3556fb8f.18489540_at_news.compuserve.com>,
> syd_at_compuserve.comz (Paul Smith) wrote:
> >
> > "Terry Engelstad" <terry_at_interaccess.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone know why, when I try to connect to my Ora8 server across our
LAN
> > >using TCP/IP, it starts up my dialer. When I click on cancel (without
> > >completing the dial-out) it connects fine. If I let the dialer finish
> > >dialing to my default (which is my ISP) it still connects just fine. If I
> > >remove the TCP entry from tnsnames.ora and leave a named pipe entry it
works
> > >just fine. What is it about TCP that makes it want to have a phone
> > >connection. Is it the Stack????
> > >

> > I've had this all along on my Windows 95 setup With Oracle 7.3. I've been
> > informed by various people that it's caused by the initialisation of the
sockets
> > DLL. My original thoughts on this were along the lines of "if the machine
I want