Synonyms and TRUNCATE

From: Alex Vilner <avilner_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:22:07 -0400

Hello,

I have encountered an interesting feature of Oracle. Let's say, user A has a table Table_A. User B has a synonym, called Table_A that points to user A's table. User B also has all kinds of priviliges in the database (I even went as far as DBA role). So user B can do anything with A's table, through the use of synonym: INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE ... But not TRUNCATE. When B issues a command:   TRUNCATE TABLE TABLE_A
B gets a message that the table does not exist. The only way B can truncate table_A is by referencing it directly:   TRUNCATE TABLE USER_A.TABLE_A I am quite surprised of this behavior, and would like to find out if there are ways to work around this, since truncate is so much better for cleaning out data from temp tables (especially, when they are large) !!!

Sincerely,

Alex Vilner Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 08:22:07 CDT