Re: Access vs Oracle

From: S Bufton <sbufton_at_x.x>
Date: 9 May 1998 10:53:20 GMT

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:20:24, nuno-v-guerreiro_at_telecom.pt (Nuno Guerreiro) wrote:

::Imagine you are working in a project for a bank and have a table which
::contains bank accounts. You need to transfer money from one account to
::another - this turns out to be 2 operations:
::
::.. decrease account A1
::.. increase account A2
::
::Imagine there is a hardware failure between the 2 operations.
::
::While Acces would leave your table in an inconsistent state (with the
::debt executed),

Only if the program is badly written. It is just as easy to use transactions in Access as Oracle, and you'd have to go through crash recovery procedures in both cases, which are much quicker in Access than Oracle....

But if you're running a bank on Access, let me know, so that I can warn my friends to choose another bank :-)

        Steve Received on Sat May 09 1998 - 05:53:20 CDT