Re: Need substring of a long field - help please

From: ALEX J JENTILUCCI <ALEXJENT_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 19:51:03 -0500

Hi Amy,

    Though you didn't specify what you're doing, I assume (reluctantly) that you are using SQL*PLUS.
If so, I don't have any ideas, but I do know what you are doing with SUBSTR is not allowed.

On the other hand if you can use PL/SQL you could declare a variable of 255 characters (Could be up to 32000) then select your LONG into it and you're done. Or you could do any other string function on the PL/SQL variable.

IE:

            Declare
                    var_255 VARCHAR2(255);
            BEGIN