a very simple Oracle question

From: Dee <garg_at_iname.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 12:57:44 -0500

Hi,

I am a student and trying to develop an Oracle application for filling up weekly timesheets. While designing database, I havefollowing tables...

Employee table
Name
address
salary
designation
dateofJoin

Project table
ID
Name

Activity table
ID
Activityname

subactivity table
ID
name

Now my transaction table will be
WTS table
Name
Date
project
activity
subactivity
hrs

If I design my transaction table like this, then their is lot of duplication of data.
Transaction table data may be like this

Name Date Project Activity Subactivity hrs

John        01/01/97     ABC        AA           AC                    2
John        01/01/97     ABC        AA           BC                    1
John        01/01/97     ABC        AG           AC                    2
John        01/01/97     DEF        AA           AC                    2
John        01/01/97     DEF        AA           AT                    2
John        01/02/97     ABC        AA           AC                    2
John        01/02/97     ABC        AA           AC                    2
John        01/02/97     GHI          AN          TT                    2
John        01/02/97     ABC        AL           AC                    2
Tom        01/01/97     ABC        AA           AI                    2
Tom        01/01/97     ABC        AS           AC                    2
Tom        01/01/97     JJJ        AA           AC                    2
Tom        01/01/97     JJJ        AT            AC                    2
Tom        01/01/97     LLL        AA           AC                    2
Tom        01/01/97     LLL        AK           AC                    2

 I see that 2 employees will enter almost 20 records for just 1-2 days time sheet with lot of data which is same in every record. What is the efficient way of doing this.
Any help will be apperitiated.

DEE Received on Sun May 03 1998 - 12:57:44 CDT