Re: Oracle instance and database question

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 28 Apr 1998 15:00:55 -0700

In article <3542a750.21941430_at_news.pacbell.net>, Eric Wong <ericw_at_pacbell.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:19:32 +0200, Eugen Nyffeler
><eugen.nyffeler_at_ubs.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>Oracle has databases, instances and schemas.
>>In a simple way, a database is a set of datafiles containing the data.
>>a instance is defined by the background processes and the SGA. a
>>database can have one
>>or more instances (distributed servers) accessing the same datafiles.
>>an instance can have one or more schemas. a schema contains the objects
>>(tables, views,
>>etc.) which belongs to a user.
>
>I am having a similar question, running multiple databases from one
>Oracle server.
>
>I am new to Oracle database, & I have a database setup & running on an
>Oracle database server.
>
>The question is, how can I create another database (is that called
>another instance) on the same machine?

Most situations of people coming from other db's that I have seen, what they call "database" the closest thing in Oracle is a "schema." See the concepts manual to see which is closest to what you have in mind.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Tue Apr 28 1998 - 17:00:55 CDT