Re: Oracle instance and database question

From: Eric Wong <ericw_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:05:45 GMT

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:19:32 +0200, Eugen Nyffeler <eugen.nyffeler_at_ubs.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Oracle has databases, instances and schemas.
>In a simple way, a database is a set of datafiles containing the data.
>a instance is defined by the background processes and the SGA. a
>database can have one
>or more instances (distributed servers) accessing the same datafiles.
>an instance can have one or more schemas. a schema contains the objects
>(tables, views,
>etc.) which belongs to a user.

I am having a similar question, running multiple databases from one Oracle server.

I am new to Oracle database, & I have a database setup & running on an Oracle database server.

The question is, how can I create another database (is that called another instance) on the same machine?

Thanks for any info.

Eric Received on Sat Apr 25 1998 - 04:05:45 CDT