select nth row ?

From: Phil R Lawrence <prl2_at_lehigh.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:48:52 -0400

Hello,

I am treating the results of an ordered query as a data set. As such, I am interested in determining the mean and interquartile range. This means I need to be able to select the nth row of the *ordered* data set. Now, I thought I might use ROWNUM, but my manual says "ROWNUM is assigned before the rows are ordered [by the ORDER BY clause]."

Any ideas on how I can do this? If I can't get Oracle to do this I'll have to slurp the whole data set into my program and do the calcs there.

Thanks!
--

Phil R Lawrence               phone: 610-758-3051
Programmer / Analyst      e-mail: prl2_at_lehigh.edu