Parameter Queries in Oracle

From: <robin.poole_at_onyx.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:35:37 -0600

Hi,

I'm an oracle newbie so forgive me if I'm asking a very simple question, its just it seems odd that the answer isn't easy to find elsewhere!

I am porting an MS Access application using Visual Basic/JET to JET->ODBC->ORACLE, the program uses a number of queries with parameters which are saved in MS Access. i.e. In Access SQL syntax

PARAMETERS PIDAccount Long;
SELECT * FROM Accounts WHERE IDAccount = PIDAccount

What is the corresponding syntax in ORACLE - is it possible for ODBC to use bind variables in SQLPassThrough queries, and if so could these queries be stored as views in Oracle? Would I be better off using Oracle Objects for OLE?

The easy way to do this would be to rely on ODBC to do the entire translation and use stored parameter queries in access. However aside from the normal translation performance issues, my current app uses various functions in access basic that I want to transfer to the server in PL/SQL - I assume I can only use server side functions if I use passthrough queries.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, alternatively if anyone knows of any good books on the subject (using jet to talk to ORACLE) i'd be happy to hear from you!

Thanks in advance
  Robin Poole
  Onyx Internet Ltd, Middlesbrough, UK
  Robin.Poole_at_Onyx.Net