Re: Oracle Financials: to NCA or not to NCA?

From: Brian Haddock <bhaddock_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:45:49 -0500

I think at this point whether or not they'll drop SC is in the air. They are hinting that they will but I'm sure that depends upon what their customers say (and how loud they say it).

We're going with the NCA architecture, limitations and all. We're in a position where we can't run the SC apps over a WAN and since char mode apps are going away we have no choice but to go NCA. We've seen a demo and it looked pretty good. There are some limitations (printing, no OLE type stuff, weird screen layouts due to lack of MDI, no keyboard shortcuts, etc.) but Oracle states that they will be fixed in the future (at least up to the point where they *can* be fixed - the use of Java limits their alternatives in some cases). All in all, I'd have to say the NCA apps looked far better than I was expecting.

So in a nutshell, Oracle is kind of 'twisting your arm' to make you go the NCA route. They're hinting around that they are going to drop this and drop that. They've done this before (look how long char apps have stuck around). Personally, I wish Oracle would drop the 'anti-Microsoft' attitude, break down and write us some decent Windows versions of the applications.