Re: C, CGI, and Oracle

From: <laz777_at_semaphore.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:42:11 -0600

There are two different way's to do what you want. You can use the Pro*C precompiler, or Oracles OCI (Oracle Call Interface). Pro*C is much easier to use, but makes debugging a nightmare, as it renders most debuggers usless. OCI is much more complicated, but is easier to debug, because it is just a set of function calls into a library.

You can get the documentation for either of these from Oracle, or look on the documentation CD that is shipped with your Oracle Server software.

There is also an excellent book on the subject (yes it covers all of the important stuff) called: "Oracle developer's guide the C programmer's Guide to Oracle Database Development" written by David McClanahan, published by Oracle Press. It is currently out of print, but amazon.com is really good at tracking down copies of out of print books, and should have no problem finding you a copy.

Good luck-

    Todd Marshall

Todd Marshall
Senior Developer
Semaphore Corp
2001 6th Ave Suite 400		(ph) 206-443-0651
Seattle, WA			(fx) 206-443-0718

98121

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. -- A. Whitney Brown