C, CGI, and Oracle

From: <ahporter_at_montana.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 12:04:49 -0600

Our underlying data is moving from well-behaved indexed files on VMS to an Oracle database. I have a number of CGI programs written in C that access the current data. I was careful to separate the I/O interface, knowing that the switch to Oracle was coming.

Now I need to replace that part of the programs with C code that connects to the Oracle database, sends SQL, reads results if necessary, and disconnects. I found a book that claims to contain all you need to know about CGI and Oracle, but the author left out the most critical part -- how you actually write the code to access the Oracle database! The database may be on the same system or a remote system. I also need to know which parts of Oracle that I need to do this. The CGI system is Sun Solaris with an Apache server.

If anyone has actually interfaced C to Oracle, please let me know. Some example programs would be good also. I've been having a very hard time finding any definitive information on how to do this.

Help! Thank you!