Re: Plan_Table problem

From: Christian Bantzer <bantzerc_at_orca.akctr.noaa.gov>
Date: 1998/04/02

I don't know what you mean by strange results, but 2 things come to mind when comparing your query to the example given in SQL Language reference manual:

  1. there START WITH comes before CONNECT BY PRIOR
  2. using the ORDERY BY in a hirachical query orders the result in that order, instead of children beneath parents.
Christian Bantzer                                   PSMFC-PacFIN F/AKC
christian_bantzer_at_psmfc.org                         Bldg. 4 Rm. 2066
phone (206) 526 4057                                7600 SandPoint Wy. NE
fax   (206) 526 4074                                Seattle, WA 98115-0070
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Kevin Bass wrote:

:)I am attempting to develop a script but encountered problems testing the
:)results of my sql statement. I am getting strange results using CONNECT BY
:)PRIOR command. Assistance is needed!!
:)
:)SELECT LPAD(' ',LEVEL-1)||OPERATION||' '||OPTIONS||' '||OBJECT_NAME
:)Query_plan
:)FROM PLAN_TABLE
:)CONNECT BY PRIOR ID = PARENT_ID
:)START WITH parent_id IS NULL