Question regarding database connectivity from Java via JDBC 4.0

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: 1998/03/27

Hi:

I recently saw a presentation on java programming against Oracle. The presenter stated that, with JDBC 4.0 drivers, it is possible (and fairly easy) to establish a persistent connection to a remote database with a Java applet without having the database middleware on the client machine (no SQL*net, no ODBC drivers, etc.). I am an Oracle DBA and have some familiarity with Visual Basic (including active documents), and I know this is not possible (or at least very difficult) to do with a VB active document. The presenter stated that the JDBC class is capable of establishing a socket connection to the database, over the Internet as well as over an intranet. Is this accurate? Has anyone else done this? Can you elaborate? Does the JDBC 4 driver class truly take care of all those middleware needs?

Please respond via email and post reply, if possible.

Thanks and regards,
Dave Received on Fri Mar 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST