Re: Question regarding database connectivity from Java via JDBC 4.0

From: Simon Riggs <sriggs_at_open-mind.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/27

You've interpreted the 4.0 slightly incorrectly. There are various classes of JDBC driver that approach the middleware issue differently.
The speaker would have been referring to a class 4 driver, rather than version 4.0.

There is a class of driver "thin" that Oracle publishes that allows a Java applet to connect
back to its host server and then from there by SQL*Net to Oracle. When you talk about persistent connection, please be aware that the applet will only be
connected when the applet is active, but can be connected as long as that is the case.
So if you unload the applet and move to another page, then you're gone.

I can't answer your more detailed VB questions.

David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net> wrote in article <KJDS.156$3U2.4453419_at_news.ipass.net>...
> Hi:
>
> presenter stated that, with JDBC 4.0 drivers, it is possible (and fairly
> easy) to establish a persistent connection to a remote database with a
Java Received on Fri Mar 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST