Re: Help Please ! ora-12500 error

From: Tao36 <tao36_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/24

> thomasl_at_expansion.com <wrote>

>I have a Dec Alpha running Oracle 7.3.2 server.
>All my client PCs (Win95) was able to connect to the DB server via SQLNET.
 <snip>
>ERROR: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

If you are using an NT network.....

I have the exact same setup. Every time I get a 125## error the first place I look is the WINS configuration on the client PC. For some reason Win95 seems to wipe out this information on a periodic basis (seems like when a user installs new software on their PC this configuration gets wiped out).

If you aren't familiar with WINS, right click on the network neighborhood icon and select properties. Then highlight your appropriate network component from the list. In my world it is usually TCP/IP 3Com Fast Etherlink. Then select properties. Then select the "WINS Configuration" tab and check the "Primary WINS Server entry".

Hope this helps. Received on Tue Mar 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST