Re: Calling a DLL from an Oracle Stored Procedure

From: mark tomlinson <marktoml_at_gdi.net>
Date: 1998/03/05

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 00:04:59 GMT, guyr_at_raleigh.ibm.com (Guy Rouillier) wrote:

>I have Oracle 7.3.2.2. What is the indirect way? <gr> Seriously, I
>do need to know if I can do this. Thanks.
>
>marktoml_at_gdi.net (mark tomlinson) wrote:
>
>>On 6 Feb 1998 08:39:01 -0700, psmest <psmest_at_primenet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any known method for calling a DLL from a stored procedure????
>>>I haven't been able to locate any information on this, so I'm guessing
>>>that this isn't physically possible.
>>>
>>>Any knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
>>
>>Possible in 8.x, not directly so in 7.x

Well, the indirect way would be to use a DBMS_PIPE that speaks to a service on NT that would then execute your DLL code, (not very direct like I said). Doing it this way means writing mode code, specifically:

-the 'deamon'/service to listen on the pipe
-the DLL itself
-the program that the service will launch to call the DLL, (if it
doesn't do this directly), and get the information back up the pipe again.
-the PLSQL code to call/listen on the DBMS_PIPE.

In Oracle 8 it is easier as you could write some PLSQL wrapper code to simply call the DLL functions directly. Received on Thu Mar 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST