Re: Oracle Workgroup Sever 7.3 - Oracle 6 Connection

From: Ian Dixon <iand_at_syntaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/02

Hi

> does anyone out there know a possibility to connect an old Oracle 6
> database server on HP Unix with a Oracle Workgroup Server (7.3) on
> Windows NT via TCP/IP. We suppose that the problem is located within the
> SQL*Net connection. We need the connection to migrate step by step from
> the old database server to the new one.

SQL*Net is the problem. Your v6 database server only knows v1 whereas 7.3 only knows about v2 and they cannot talk to each other. I have implemented a solution that allows v6 tools to talk to a v7.3 database. Both are running on HP servers.

The approach was -

Create the 7.3 database as normal with SQL*Net 2.3 running

Create a database from an earlier Oracle version that supports Net 1. We used 7.1.6 because that was available but 7.2 should work. The important thing is that it supports both Net 1 and 2

In the database that supports Net 1, create a database link to the 7.3 instance that uses a Net 2 connect string. Then create synonyms that use the SQL*Net connection for all tables in the 7.3 instance that you need to be able to see

Point the v6 code at the older database and you should now be able to go see Oracle 7.3 from Oracle 6

Some points to note -

This has been working for me since 7/97 but I want to move away

I have been unable to make a 7.3 database look at a v6.0.30 one but only as a quick test. Experience has been with using v6 tools rather than database.

We had a problem with 7.1.6 that caused errors in Forms 3. A patch from Oracle solved the problem.

Hope this helps

Ian Received on Mon Mar 02 1998 - 00:00:00 CST