Re: Init.ora configuration

From: Michael Gundlach <mgundlach_at_vision-como.de>
Date: 1998/02/26

Javi López wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We have an HP Lx machine with two Pentium 200 processors, 4 disks of 4
> Gb (Raid5) and
> 1 Gb of RAM memory.
>
> The operating system is Windows NT working in a client-server
> environment with
> Oracle DataBase.
>
> We have the following problem:
>
> Oracle accesses the disk too often, and doesn't work eonough from the
> memory (It's 1Gb !!)
>
> Is there anyone who could help me to configure INIT.ORA in order to get
> a most favourable
> result?
>
> Thanks.

Hi!

Windows NT system cache contains buffers used for disk I/0. The Oracle7 database maintains its own buffering mechanism and bypasses the system cache when writing to the disk. The Windows NT operating system can be tuned to favor the working set size of the Oracle7 process over the working set size of the system cache by setting the LargeSystemCache variable to zero through the use of regedt32.exe. This configuration parameter is stored in
\hkey_local_machine\control\sessionManager\MemoryManagement. Make sure this value is set to zero.

Place your log files on disks that support little or no disk activity.

Increase the init.ora parameter sort_area_size.

Setting the discrete_transactions_enabled=true in the init.ora file con improve performance of short, non-distributed transactions. With this option, all changes made to any data are deferred until the transaction commits. In addition, no undo information is generated. Received on Thu Feb 26 1998 - 00:00:00 CST