Re: Init.ora configuration

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/02/25

Hi,

First off, my comments are applicable to Oracle 7 and 8 but not 6. So if you are running Oracle 6 please file in the nearest trash can :-)

Until you get a chance to buy and read a good book on Oracle tuning you should look at the following parameters in your init file:

	db_block_buffers
	shared_pool_size
	db_file_multiblock_read_count

Your strategy should be to give Oracle all of your RAM aside from that needed by the operating system (be sure to leave enough for the swap area and any other miscellaneous memory that the OS acquires on a dynamic basis).

Increasing the number of block buffers will reduce the amount of disk I/0.

Increasing the shared pool size will reduce disk I/O by allowing more of the sorts generated by order by and group by clauses to be done in memory.

Increasing the number of blocks read/written at a time will also reduce I/O.

Something else you should investigate is the performance loss due to the use of RAID 5. (If you are using hardware RAID as opposed to software RAID this may not be a problem.) From what I have heard software RAID as is so often used in NT based systems is a real performance killer. When I was responsible for Oracle on NT for example I very reluctantly gave up the additional security of RAID 5 in order to assure that the system could satisfy processing speed requirements. I wound up going to RAID 0 and RAID 1 (Striping and mirroring) and lost parity checking.

Regards

Jerry

--
Jerry Gitomer         	ICT Group