Re: Help with Pers. Oracle8 Install Please

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/02/04

cathexis_at_erols.com wrote in message <34d27fca.171833142_at_news.erols.com>...
> Greetings. I've run into a snag in my Personal Oracle 8
>install. Can anyone help? I know I need more memory, but before
>I run to the store I'd like some advice.
>
> The problem is this: Runme.bat doesn't run right.
>
> My box is a plain vanilla P166/ 3.1gig/16meg RAM with
<snipped>

And that's the problem. Oracle 8 only runs on chocmint and rum-and-raisin flavours of the P166 CPU... ;-)

You don't need the RUNME.BAT file to unpack the Oracle EXEs you've downloaded. You need to run each of the EXEs to unpack the contents of these files into installation subdirectories. The reason why you need -o parameter is to tell the EXE to unpack its files into subdirectories (which the EXE will create itself). If you don't use it, the EXE will unpack all its files into the current directory. The installation program will then not work as it expects the installation files to be in various subdirectories.

Ok, now to create your own RUNME.BAT file. Open a DOS Window in Win95. Go to the directory (e.g. c:\downloads) where all the Oracle EXEs are. In this directory type the following command: DIR/B *.exe > MYRUN.BAT This command create a file called MYRUN.BAT and that contains a listing of all the EXEs in that directory. Now type the command NOTEPAD MYRUN.BAT to edit the file. Add the -o parameter to each line in the file. Save the file and go back to the Dos Window. Now type the command MYRUN to unpack the Oracle EXEs into subdirectories. After this is done, exit the Dos Window. Load Explorer and go to the directory in which you have unpacked the Oracle EXEs. There should be an Oracle subdirectory called WIN95 or something (e.g. c:\downloads\win95). Inside that subdirectory there will be an installation program called SETUP.EXE or ORAINST.EXE. Double click on that program to start the installation.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Feb 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST