Problem: nested table of references

From: myName <myName_at_myCompany.com>
Date: 1998/01/13

Hi folks,

I have some problems to access the object behind a reference, stored in a nested table. Any suggestion would be realy appreciated!

The schema looks like this:
create type val as object(

        some_text varchar(200)
);

create type valTab as table of ref val;

create type logRec as object(

	id      number(10),
	logDate date,
	vals	valTab

);

create table valTable of val;
create table logRecTable of logRec

        nested table vals store as nt_vals;

I have not been able to read some_text using SQL nor using OCI:

select deref(t) from the (select vals from logRecTable where id = 1) t

             *
ORA-00904: invalid column name

and trying to access the reference via OCIIter results in an invalid val_ref.

The interesting thing is, that counting the # of references works perfect, but I can't use them!

Christian

--
Christian Schaarschmidt
Siemens Corporate Research