Re: Results of Dynamic SQL to a Flat File

From: <StackFault_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 1998/01/13

In article <884642437.133496842_at_dejanews.com>,   StackFault_at_rocketmail.com wrote:

> I need suggestions on how to execute a SQL query that is dynamically
> created by a stored procedure so that I can get the output into a text
> file for transmision to a mainframe.

Thank you for the many e-mail responses I received to this question. They gave me an idea for a very simple solution that seems to work:

My new stored procedure calls my existing one that returns a select statement into a variable. To the beginning of this string, I add "Create or replace view temp_view as " and then execute this statement with DBMS_SQL dynamic SQL funcitons. I then open a spool file and select * from temp_view. (The execute and the select statement are actually run from a UNIX shell script in my case.)

Hope this can help someone else and thanks again.

Mike