Weird! select * _AND_ large recordsize 'hangs' connection???

From: Raj Gabrielse <Raj_at_Botany_Bay.Con>
Date: 1998/01/07

Hi all,

I have a weird problem and am hopelesly lost in where to look to find the cause. The problem occurs on Oracle 7.3.2.3.0 on Novell 3.12 (patched up to date) and 16bit clientsoftware on *all* W95 WSs, talking over a SPX/IPX connection. BTW, it's not only our program that's affected, it also happens with SQLPlus, and all the ODBC connection testtools I have.

A select * from any size table (tested up to 10000 recs) with:

 _small_ records (i.e. around 100 bytes), everything is ok.

 large records (i.e. over 1000 bytes), there's no response and  our clientsoftware, including SQLPlus, 'hangs' (doesn't  timeout)

 ad criteria, to drastically limit the the number of records  returned, and we get immediate response

  change the * into a single, large column, char(255), and remove   the criteria, again no repsonse

  pick a single field or a combination of fields so the returned   'recordsize' is around 100 bytes again and it works ok again

It gets weirder, entering the exact same queries at the serverconsole produces lightning results for every possible rowlength I could put together.

Sadly, I'm not Oracle proficient enough to know _where_ I have to look. But because it happens on every WS, when there's a protocol involved, this has to be caused by something related to the network layer, but where?
At least that's what _I_ think, but I may be wrong.

Now I got three questions since I'm at a loss here...

What's happening? IOW, why is there 'no response' after a select, that would result in a high number of large rows. While the same statement, selecting only a part of each row, producing the same number, but smaller rows , comes back with results instantly...(like <wink>)

What can I do to *see* where the communication breaks down, (tried listener trace, but that seems only to track connectionattempts). I mean, the chain obviously is breaking somewhere when a select * from table of large rows ( > 150-200 bytes) does not return data.

Why me?

Raj Gabrielse

PS. Please reply to group, email address is bogus PPS. if you feel the urge to reply via email anyhow,

     remove not_here from Reply_To Received on Wed Jan 07 1998 - 00:00:00 CST