Re: Tables Partitioned by Range and Updating Data

From: Sameer Mahajan <sameerm_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/01/06

Hi Bard,

I am not really sure that ur talking here about Oracle 8 Table partitioning.

In case ur on Oracle 7.3 then u can make use of Partitioned Views.

Partitioned views allow u to spread the data from a single table across multiple tables. The tables can be queried in a single qurey by using the union operator.

In case ur on Oracle 7.3.x then user the check contraint definition on the partition tables to determine which tables might participate in the query. The 7.3 optiomizer is smart enought to realized which partition table to look into base on the constraint. Note: To enable partition elimination, set the PARTITION_VIEW_ENABLED parameter to TRUE in ur database's init.ora file.

In case ur talking about 8. I think it could be an over kill since in 8 u can split a single table itself into multiple partition based on contraints. Each partition can reside in a different tablespace (if my understanding is correct, pl. verify) itself. So if u would do an update internal it would result in a insert to the destination and delete from the origination partition. As u have correctly stated.

Partitioning view I guess should keep every one happy in case ur on 7.3 or higher. Plus I guess all ur schema's are in the same instance (ur not using and dblinks).

HTH Sameer Mahajan
sameermj_at_usa.net

Brad Murray <BradMurray_at_SeeSigIfThere.com> wrote in article <MPG.f1b2b5fde20069f989853_at_news>...