Re: Accessing Oracle 6.0

From: TurkBear <jvgreco_at_pop.primenet.com>
Date: 1997/12/29

"Larry Young" <lyoung_at_zedak.com> wrote:

>I am supporting an application running on Netware NLM version of Oracle 6.
>The application code runs on Windows 3.1 using PowerBuilder 2.0.
>
>I would like to access the database from a newer platform, say Access via
>ODBC from Windows/95 or NT.
>
>Does anyone know if such a setup is possible?
>
>The problem is getting drivers that will talk to the SQLSPX running on the
>Netware server.
>Oracle won't even talk about version 6 anymore. But I am sure there are
>lots of other
>slow-upgraders still running it out there.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Larry Young
>lyoung_at_zedak.com

Oracle 6 can be set up to use Sqlnet v2.x.x.x and then the Win95/NT clients can access it - Install the Sqlnet V2 on the server ( listener ) and then be sure to set up your TNSNAMES.ORA file on the client ( using Oracle Net configuration tools ) to point to the alias you created on the server - See the docs for SqlNet for details....

It does work.

Hope it helps,
John Greco
Oracle DBA ( Netware 4.11,Win95/NT/3.1 Clients, Oracle 7.3.2[ formerly 6] )
Reply to: john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us Received on Mon Dec 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST