Re: HP Disk array configuration

From: Gunnar Grødahl <groedahl_at_online.no>
Date: 1997/12/06

I'm presently running Oracle7 on a Compaq Proliant 4500 with 2 CPU's and both RAID level 5 and mirroring disk security. The data, index and temporary spaces all resides
on the level 5 part of the disks whereas the logs resides on the mirrored disks.
For my system (mixed usage - online lookups and batch jobs) this seems to function quite
well. I was previously running the same DB on older unix-machine where I distributed the
spaces according to Oracles recommendations over the available disks. I also used raw devices
on that platform. Since this was much older hardware with slower everything it's hard to say what is the best method. It's definitely more security and comfort in using RAIDing, especially if the disk are "hot-plug". One of my disks in the RAID 5 crashed so I seen with own eyes that the system handles such incidents too.

Rgds
Gunnar Grødahl
Norway

Neal Nachtigall skrev i meldingen <01bd0190$fc95b530$4668000a_at_nnachtig>...