german umlauts in SQL*plus/Windows w/ WE8PC850 charset

From: Christian Birzer <Christian.Birzer_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1997/12/05

Hi Folks!

Is it possible to display german umlauts in SQL*plus under Windows, even if the Database-Charset is set to WE8PC850? Under Dos, umlauts are displayed correct. In windows, umlauts are displayed as black boxes. I can't use them in queries too. I need something like
alter session set NLS_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1; Unfortunately this doesn't work. I tried it with NLS_LANGUAGE but this seems to have no effect on charset.

How can I change the charset to displayed to have the umlauts converted 'on the fly'?

BTW: Setting the Dos environment variable nls_lang to german_germany.we8iso8859P1 alters the nls_characterset but sql*plus does still no convert.

--
CU
 Christian Birzer           student of computer science

 ...Jetzt haben wir ein Programm - machen wir Software d'raus!