Re: Escape sequences in SQL*Loader

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/12/03

Morten Myrvold wrote in message <660itn$reb$1_at_elle.eunet.no>...
>I'm using SQL*Loader to load our database tables from text files. Some of
>these columns contain text with CR's embedded. My question is: how do I
>specify a CR (carriage return) in my SQL*Loader data file??? >
<snip>

The only way (other than replacing CR's before loading) is to make use of the FIX option in SQL*Loader (don't think it's clearly documented in the Server Utils manual).

If you specify a fix record length, SQL*Loader ignores CR's and read the specified fix length number of bytes as a record.

Eg.
LOAD DATA
INFILE 'foo.dat' "FIX 153"
APPEND INTO
TABLE scott.foo
(
  col1 position(001:010),
  col2 position(011:099),
  etc..
)

Of course if the datafile has a variable record length format, this will not work.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Dec 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CST